In this report, we describe a 4-year-old who was playing with an electric nail clipper when the blades caught the skin of the child’s neck. This device is touted as safe for all to use, although the manufacturer advises strict supervision when in possession of the device. We describe an accident where the device was embedded in the neck of a child which needed excision of the neck skin. The blades of the device pinched and implanted into the superficial layer of skin of the patient, and the patient’s parents were unable to remove the blades without fear of injury. Upon presentation, we followed sterile procedure to excise the blades along with superficial skin layer with a scalpel and sutured the resultant wound. We advise that parents utilizing safety clippers such as these do not take for granted the possible accidents and injury that may still occur should a child misuse a device.
Pollock K, George M, Yeroushalmi M, and Yeroushalmi M