In this report, we describe a 2-year-old female who played with magnetic beads and swallowed five of them. Four were in the stomach and one was in the colon when the parents found the girl swallowed the beads. Four beads in stomach were removed endoscopically. The one in the colon was not discovered in subsequent colonoscopy because of poor bowel preparation. The patient was observed for seven days during which the patient was well without any abdomen symptom, but the magnetic bead remained in the colon, as seen in the abdominal X-ray and computed tomography. We repeated the colonoscopy and found the foreign body stuck to the mucosa which endoscopically did not show any obvious abnormality. We then performed endoscopic submucosal dissection with an IT-Knife, took out the bead, and closed the incision with clips, thereby avoiding open surgery. We advise that parents should pay more attentions to small children who may ingest foreign bodies inadvertently. We conclude that the endoscopic procedures are effective in removing swallowed foreign bodies.
Xiumin Qin, Hui Guo,Yuan Meng, Feihong Yu,Dan Zhang and Jing Zhang